[Dixielandjazz] Music for the gay trade

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Wed Dec 10 23:50:33 PST 2003

Dear Bill,
You seemed to have stopped it. Well done! For anyone who has an unbiased
interest in homosexuality and music, and doesn't consider it a "fun" topic,
there is a book by John Gill, which, although it has the somewhat
unfortunate title of "Queer Noises", is "a revealing yet sensitive study of
the lives of a host of performers--from Benjamin Britten and John Cage to
Bessie Smith and Janis Joplin, from Billy Strayhorn and Cecil Taylor  to
Sun Ra and the Pet Shop Boys--makes public what has always been known, that
many of this century's greatest musicians are gay. Gill also examines the
forces behind 'this code of silence'--families and relatives, managers and
business associates, journalists and critics, historians and musicologists,
and the inner workings of the music business itself." Regards.
Fred