[Dixielandjazz] RICO VALLESE Cornet/trumpet player

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Dec 10 15:28:09 PST 2003

Ricowas a wonderful cornet player plagued with weak chops but when he was on
he was a delight to listen to. I heard him with Rosie McHargues band many
times, and also with some casual dates with Matty Matlock. He worked as a
draftsman to make a livng, but like his idol Bobby Hackett, he shared the
lyrical and harmonic apprach to playing.
He was a rather short little fellow with a blading pate, and a neat little
'stach.  He had dark, Italian look to him. But he was pure American Jazz at
heart. It was my great deligt to have met him and  heard him many times in
my youth growing up in the L.A. area, and he was every bit as inventive in
his ideas as his hero Hackett.
Thanks for bringing his name up. He was a treat to hear.
Don Ingle