[Dixielandjazz] Re: OTP: US Football, BCS, and USC

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 10 13:40:23 PST 2003

on 10/12/03 11:45 AM, Don Kirkman at donkirk at covad.net wrote (in part):
> As Harry Reser's Eskimos put it on wax, "You Gotta be a Football Hero to Get
Along with the Beautiful Girls."  (Why do I keep think of Dick Powell?)<

Dear Don,
Probably because Dick Powell was in the 1933 film musical 'College Coach'.
Along with Pat O'Brien, Ann Dvorak, Hugh Herbert and Donald Meek with
youthful John Wayne and Ward Bond in bit parts.
About a ruthless coach (O'Brien) prepared to win at any cost. The film
balances drama with comedy. Songs ("Lonely Lane, Men of Calvert, Just One
More Chance, Meet Me in the Gloaming, What Will I Do Without You" but not
"....Football Hero") include performances by Powell (badly miscast as a
footballer).
Kind regards,
Bill.