[Dixielandjazz] Re: The economics of OKOM

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 5 15:48:01 PST 2003

Jerry Gordon wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:03:50 EST TCASHWIGG at aol.com writes:
> >
> > They did however pay me $100,000.00 a week for Fats Domino & his 20
> > piece
> > band, plus single rooms for the band. ... Fats paid the band
> > $3,000.00 a
> > month each man.
>
> So he collected $5000 per week per man and paid them $3000 per month? I
> hope he didn't lose any money on the deal.

Well, don't forget Tom's cut. ;-)
And the air fares, baggage handling, travel expenses etc. ;-)

Now you have an idea of what Woody Allen gets, and what the other
guys/gals in the band get. $750 a week plus room was well over union scale
for traveling musos in those days.

Imagine what Michael Jackson or Madonna make, compared to the musos that
back them.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone