[Dixielandjazz] AARP - No longer an acronym

Jerry Gordon jerrygordon at juno.com
Fri Dec 5 13:27:19 PST 2003

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:40:56 -0800 Nancy Giffin <nancyink at ulink.net>
writes:
> <     "Bill Gunter" <jazzboard at hotmail.com> asked:
> <     ps - question of the day . . . Is DJML an acronym?
>
> OKOM on now, Bill. Of course it isn't.
> ;)

That's very clever, Nancy, but I wouldn't brush off Bill's serious
question quite so lightly. If it's pronouncable, i.e., if it's a "word,"
it's an acronym. If not, it's an abbreviation.

Repeat after me: DIJIMAL, with the accent on whatever syllable rolls most
mellifluously off your tongue. But maybe the addition of vowel sounds
necessary for pronouncability rule out its being an acronym?

Jerry Gordon, Troy, NY - Web master for
http://www.timesunion.com/communities/jazz