[Dixielandjazz] AARP - No longer an acronym

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:05:37 PST 2003

Hi listmates

> > Probably .... American Association of Retired Persons

Mike Logsden added"

>Correct, until a few years ago.  I read with amazement in its magazine,
>*Modern Maturity*, that since so many for so long had come to know it
>simply as "AARP," it at that point officially changed its name to
>exactly that: AARP.  No longer an acronym, that is, as in "It USED to
>mean....,"

At first I was inclined to dispute Mike's position that it was no longer
"American Association of Retired Persons" but then I looked up the AARP
website and, after a careful perusal, I was unable to find the words
"American Association of Retired Persons" anywhere on any of the pages I
looked at.

Apparently AARP has decided that this word (AARP) is to be the official name
of the group.
I imagine this change has come about partly because AARP probably has as
many members who are NOT retired as it does actual retirees. The thing that
attracted me to the organization was the fact that membership in AARP
qualified one for nice discounts in many venues (restaurants, hotels, etc.).

I will, however, dispute Mike's assertion that AARP is no longer an acronym.
The definition of acronym is: A word formed from the initials or other parts
of several words.

Even if AARP wants to pretend that the name is not an acronym, it still is.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - question of the day . . . Is DJML an acronym?