[Dixielandjazz] Sharkey and his kings of dixieland.

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 14:17:29 PST 2003

In a message dated 12/4/03 4:46:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

> Can anyone give some relevant detail about this band?  I refer
> specifically to the LP, Capitol T367, "Midnight on Bourbon Street."  A
> surprisingly enjoyable album!  But with no personnel, no dates, etc.

I have an 1950s-era Crown Records LP by the "fantabulous Kings of Dixieland"
which included:  Matty Matlock, clar; Ray Conniff, trombone; Cyde Hurley,
trumpet; Dick Cathcart, trumpet; Ben Pollack, drums; Jack Ordean, sax; Clyde
Ridge, piano; and Marty Corb, bass.  No mention of Sharkey, but that must have been
Sharkey Bonano who played with the ODJB in their 1938 sessions.  The name
doesn't mean much to me...it must have been an advertising ploy.  Practically
anybody could have called themselves "kings" , but at least these guys were
really good musicians.
Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY