[Dixielandjazz] Re: Art

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Thu Dec 4 13:56:27 PST 2003

Mike Durham writes,
> Bill, someone already sent me 4'33" but it sounds identical to one of my
own
> works, 4'37", only a little shorter. Should I sue this guy Cage?

If the essence of art lies in what is left out, then obviously your work
needs further editing. I urge you do go the extra mile because you score may
contain within it the germ of an infectious musical moment. In other words,
you may already have won.

It has been said that the process of sculpting is a simple matter of
removing everything that is not a statue. In the same way, music is best
when pared to the essentials -- the Baroque period notwithstanding. In that
context, I am pleased to announce publication of my latest composition
entitled "Seventeen Microseconds."

I'll have a zip file available for downloading soon. Unfortunately for all
you Macophiles, I am unable to produce a Stuffit version.

Paul Edgerton,
Who is currently building a music library for the ADD market.