[Dixielandjazz] Bearden and Marsalis

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:45:48 PST 2003

Apropos of the Romare Bearden exhibit, has anyone else heard Branford
Marsalis' newest CD? It's called "Romare Bearden Revealed," a celebration of
the exhibit.  It's VERY nice:  he sounds for all the world like Sidney
Bechet.  Apparently Bearden wrote some music in addition to his painting.  I
like a lot of Branford's modern stuff, but this one really surprised me --
I've never heard him sound mouldier.  More info at

http://www.marsalismusic.com/content.cfm?selection=doc.27

>Art seems to be in the DJML air at the moment so anyone in Washington, DC
>might wish to view the exhibit, at the National Gallery of Art, of Romare
>Bearden, an artist of the Harlem Renaissance, one section of which contains
>his jazz pictures.

"You might as well fall flat on your face as lean over too far backward."
-- James Thurber