What's Jazz Without Music (Was: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 8, Issue 36)

Don Kirkman donkirk at covad.net
Tue Aug 26 18:17:08 PDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:07:41 -0700, Richard Broadie wrote:

>Am tempted to compose a 35,000 word dissertation on the little known fact
>that Thomas Alva Edison invented jazz.

>On Second thought I'm going to save my energy for the Sweet & Hot festival
>in LA this week-end instead.

>I hope you serious students of jazz history aren't too disappointed.

Let me help you save your energy.  "Jazz" started with baseball in 1913.
Want facts?

The LA Times on Sunday, August 25, had a little squib about jazz as she
is wrote and played.  Unfortunately, it's already been moved into their
archives and requires a paid subscription.  However, the pertinent
information is on the following site, in much greater detail and it
makes for some interesting reading, especially for someone with an
academic bent (and sometimes that's the best kind of academic) or with
some time to kill.

http://tinyurl.com/lam6
Start with the March 2003 archive entries that include "jazz" in the
subject, particularly the thread on "One for the files."  Gerald Cohen's
March 25 contribution is particularly interesting.
--
Don
donkirk at covad.net