[Dixielandjazz] 2 beats, or 4?

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Aug 26 18:18:18 PDT 2003

Butch-san:
A few of the finest drummers I have heard or even worked with were able to
play a four beat rhythm, but with a decided though subtle 2 and 4 accent
that was almost not heard but felt. I have heard Nick Fatal do it with some
of the small bands he gigged with on the coast, Mattie et al, and it was
there.
Charlie Bodice, who seems to have dropped out of gigging in music to gigging
fish in NO.O. sent me a tape of some of the current New Orleans bands, and
drummers, working in recent times, and they all had this wonderful street
beat underlying an often straight ahead four beat rhythm section. Again, it
is an almost never obvious feel. When it is played that way you cannot help
but swing along.
It is not necessary to pound on the two and four to announce you are in two
beat. Or to play four beat so metronomically even that there is no breathing
room. Anyone tells you that good drummers are a dime a dozen should give us
the address. I might take a couple dozen just for the fun of it.
>From a steamy, muggy day in North Michigan, waiting for the first frost --
next week no doubt,
Don Ingle