[Dixielandjazz] N. O. Rhytm -- second try

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 04:18:27 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/25/03 5:54:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
butcht at sihope.com writes:

> .  Somehow that extremely obvious feature of that recording eluded me
> when I a teenager.

Hey Butch:

I discovered something profound when I was about 30 years old, Music had
changed, it had gotten softer, and more melodic and the lyrics started to make
sense, a miraculous awakening I am sure.

Now as I approach 60 I suddenly find myself listening intently to lyrics of
songs I took for granted and just played thirty years ago they also start to
make sense.

Each day now I get a much broader appreciation for many styles of music.
Perhaps finally I have found the time to actually listen and understand it.

I often listen to many old Dixieland recordings and hear a lot of good
players playing a lot of mediocre music in many cases, and yet I hear utterances of
brilliance from some of them at the same time while fully understanding that
the recording techniques were far inferior to what we have available today.
Therefore I have learned to listen between the bars for what is there and not
there to get a more general appreciation for the music and many of the artists
that are certainly not portrayed in their best light or sound.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band
Perhaps one day my humble contributions and modern interpretations will find
their way in to OKOM for some future generation and keep alive the creative
influences instilled upon us by many of the legendary players who came well
before our time.

If not it's OK too, I had a good time trying, and the music business been
beddy beddy good to me along the way.  And there ain't no rhythm like dat New
Orleans rhythm, and dat OLE Second Line.