[Dixielandjazz] Re: Come fly with me (was Bob Lefsetz articles .....)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 23 09:57:16 PDT 2003

Dear Tom,
Regarding: >the booze is free on International Flights, so how come their ain't
no musicians playing on airplanes???<
Australia, being at the 'sit-down' end of the world is also (sort of) close to
Antarctica.
Each summer (your winter*) several chartered sight-seeing flights make the long,
round-flight, journey.
With an OKOM group consisting (usually) of t, cl, bj or g & sb or tu.
Good money, but a 12 hour gig, not including about 2 hours for
airport/security/check in stuff.
A very long day, if you also count getting to and from the airport!
The band 'busks' in the aisles during the flight down and back and rests during
the scenic flyover.
But, as a mate (who has done the job several times) told me: "the booze is free,
but there is nowhere to set it down while playing! There are too few horizontal
surfaces on an aircraft".
Kind regards,
Bill.
* A waitress in a New York diner once asked me, "what season it it now in
Australia?"
When I said winter, she replied "Oh! it must be about December/January down
there".
True story.