[Dixielandjazz] I Can't Escape From You

=?Windows-1252?Q?Ingemar_W=E5german?= gotariver at goteborg.utfors.se
Thu Aug 21 19:31:50 PDT 2003

I got two replies to my request about the tune"You Can't Escape From Me" =
- "San Jacinto Stomp" - "I Can't Escape From You". Louis Lince told me =
that "You Can't Escape From Me" is the original name.=20

I have found that it was recorded (and obviously also composed) by =
Erskine Hawkins in 1939. Hawkins had recorded Richard A. Whiting=B4s "I =
Can't Escape From You" in 1936. This tune was a Bing Crosby hit, also =
recorded by Erroll Garner, Dexter Gordon and many other artists. I have =
never heard an OKOM version of it.

Hawkins=B4 tune was recorded by George Lewis in 1944 under the name "San =
Jacinto Stomp" (the first version at George=B4s home, the other two at =
San Jacinto Hall). Bunk recorded it in January 1946 and called it "I =
Can't Escape From You". I guess it was a mistake! After that a lot of NO =
revival bands have played it under that name.=20

Kid Sheik and George Lewis used the proper name "You Can't Escape From =
Me" when they recorded it in 1961.

To make the story even more complicated: There is an "I Can't Escape =
>From You", composed by Hank Williams Sr!

Cheers
Ingemar

Ingemar Wagerman