[Dixielandjazz] CD database software for Macs

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 19 22:21:54 PDT 2003

>From: RAHBerry at aol.com
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:56:22 EDT
>
>Folks...
>Does anyone know of a good cd database software program for Macs?
>Rae Ann
**---------------------------------------------------------------------**
Rae Ann and DJML--
     Well, i've looked at a couple of the ones mentioned here, but i'm
just too lazy to abandon my FileMaker Pro database that i customized
for my collection. It's very easy to use (MUCH easier than Microsoft
Access, which i still haven't figured out yet), so that all you do is
define your fields, create as many different layouts as you want,
then type in (or import) the data, which can include graphics.  Excel
is also easy to use, but i'm used to FileMaker.  On the other hand,
it's gotten kind of expensive: $279.95, the discount price at
MacWarehouse, at
http://www2.warehouse.com/product.asp?pf_id=GRA3762&blind=no&BCID=7607984
     However, you can also use it for all kinds of other
database-applications. I keep my beer-list on it (890 brands of beers
i've had so far and counting), my list of favorite books and authors,
a calendar of dixieland-festivals and what bands are appearing at
each one, dixieland songs from all my CD's with info on the personnel
and song-history for each one, and so forth.  I also use it to print
up the CD liner-notes and picture when i create a CD.
     That said, you can probably find a cheap, shareware, or free
CD-cataloger somewhere on the internet, if you don't need a lot of
bells and whistles (as we say in the programming-trade).  Others have
mentioned MusicMatch, and there's always iTunes, and one called
Brian.  Depends what kind of and how much information you want to
store, how you want to access or print it, and how much you like
sitting for hours at your computer squinting at liner-notes and
typing data into fields.

     Dan