[Dixielandjazz] Frederick Turner's 1929

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 18 15:38:41 PDT 2003

Listmates:
I am reading a fascinating novel, "1929" by Frederick Turner which I can
heartily recommend to jazz afficianados.  Its depiction of the Jazz Age and
Bix Beiderbecke is quite remarkable.  The writer Jim Harrison pens the
following regarding the book:

"Frederick Turner's 1929 would be one of the the most remarkable novels
published in any year of our time.  I found the book a stunning performance
of grand dimension.  The writing is beautifully controlled and elegant,
giving ever greater tension to the often lurid and violent contents.
Historically,  I can think of no finer portrait of an American artist and
his times."

Try it.  I think you will like it.
Best,
Bill