[Dixielandjazz] disappointment (no DJMLers) at Orange County festival

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:10:37 PDT 2003

Jerry, Rebecca, and DJML--
    I was there from Thursday through Saturday (had to leave Sunday morning), and i saw Rae Ann Berry a couple of times, met Robert Peek, shook hands with Bill Gunter, and that was it.  I asked a number of folks working the registration-tables and the hotel registration if there was a DJML meeting, and they didn't know what i was talking about.  They didn't have a message-board (which might be a good idea to have at all festivals), and i forgot (duh) to bring any of my DJML badges.  Didn't see anyone besides Robert and Rae Ann wearing the badge.  Sorry i missed you, Jerry.
    Rae Ann, Robert, and i (with my friend Jim Bryan) met at 9:30 Friday morning in the bar in the lobby, and nobody else showed up.  No local LA-area people set up a meeting-place or -time, so that was all we could do.
    More on the actual festival later, but the 19-year-old Dave Bennett (clarinet player) in the New Reformation JB from Michigan is phenomenal.

    Dan
From: "Texasjazzlover" <rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:26:46 -0500

Jerry, would you please write about the bands you saw, what impressed you,
etc.?  There was a great line-up of bands.  Did you catch the New
Reformation JB with that young trumpet player?

Rebecca Thompson
Flower Mound, TX