[Dixielandjazz] Marketing OKOM to schools

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Aug 8 14:14:51 PDT 2003

A similar program could and should be done for OKOM in every state.

It just takes folks like us to get up and go do it, if the current teachers
in the system are not into OKOM and Traditional Jazz, you can bet they are not
teaching or trying to inspire any kids to learn or play it.  We must reach
these kids when they are young, remember that most of their cartoons have been
made with OKOM music so you can't tell me kids don't or won't embrace this
music.

 But you do have to plant the seeds long before they discover a Dixieland
piece or two in high school.   Once they get to high school they have too many
other interests to pursue than OKOM or even playing their instruments.
Furthermore the music teachers are gong to teach them and influence them with their
own personal agenda which usually will be focused upon only modern music, so the
teacher appears to be hip with the School adminsitration and on top of what
the kids want today.

We have to go back and use the Three R's approach again folks, and keep it
simple, we do not need or want psychologist and psychiatrist evaluations upon
the potential or not potential side or emotional effects the music and programs
will have upon small children.   Many of us have been programmed to take
ourselves far too seriously already, just relax have fun and do it with some great
happy fun time music.

I certainly do not mean to exclude high schools from the program, but just
want to emphasize the need to start at the ground level with the grade school
kids, they are willing waiting and starving recipients, and usually so are their
teachers.  Get the Parent Teachers Association to work with you or your
society, to put on concerts and or dances at the schools for their fundraisers, not
just for the music program, but for science and other programs in the
schools, you can create many small gigs by doing this, and usually on weeknights at
early hours which will not interfere with any nightclub dates you might have
booked.

Don't forget to have those CDs and T-Shirts and society memberships available
to these folks as well, and don't be afraid to share a bit of the revenue wi
th the PTA from those sales, Team work makes it all happen and defrays a lot of
the costs incurred for each separate organization to do fundraising.

Organize a Big outdoor event in the park with all the organizations
participating and promote it city and county wide to the general public.  You will be
amazed at where you find new converts, who have no way of finding you or your
organization.

You simply must become visible and work hard to remain visible.

If Henry Ford did not market and advertise his cars from the first one to the
full assembly line we have available today The Ford Motor company would have
vanished long ago, and if we think we have a soft market for OKOM try
competing in the automobile business.

By the way I have mentioned it before, but Go meet with your Car dealers,
invite them to come out to your events and bring along a few new cars for folks
to check out, and contribute cash and promote your event in their advertising,
get one of them to include one or more of your bands in a commercial.  They
are usually very generous with cash donations as well.

Cheers,

Tom (Ain't to Proud to Beg) Wiggins

The most successful businesses and enterprises in the world are run on:
OPM   (other people's money)  go get some of it and make your dreams come
true for you and a lot of kids as well.  Dixieland will then take care of itself
over and over again.

God helps those that help themselves, I am just his marketing representative.

ARTIST NEWS: Nelson Heads Texas School Music Campaign
Nelson, Ray Benson and Michelle Shocked are among the artists behind "Don't Mess
With Texas Music," a public awareness campaign to help music programs survive
in schools amid budget cuts.

The campaign, being launched by the Texas Music Project, is similar to VH1's
national "Save the Music" drive.

Nelson is honorary chairman of the Texas Music Project. Benson, leader of the
band Asleep at the Wheel, and Shocked, a Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter,
are on the advisory board.

"Everyone supporting the project is doing it because they love music, and
because they understand music education helps kids reach their full potential,
regardless of what they grow up to be," Nelson said in a recent statement.

"Don't Mess With Texas Music" also is the name of an upcoming benefit CD with
songs by 21 artists with state ties. Other musicians joining the effort are
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Lucinda Williams and Erykah Badu.

The $15 CD will be released next month. Proceeds will fund grants for music
programs in schools.

The Texas Music Project rose out of concern that many school districts facing
budget crunches are starting to cut back on music programs, said executive
director Bruce Orr.