[Dixielandjazz] Re: State Of Jazz

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald at calweb.com
Thu Aug 7 14:56:46 PDT 2003

Again, a post to DJML was refused by the DJML software.  I am forwarding it
here.

Forwarded by Bob Ringwald, mr.wonderful at ringwald.com

-----

Unlike the movies, I believe a jazz performance should be a  participatory
experience.  At least that's the way it looks in the movies, (which I catch
pieces of in between our loud family arguements in the theater.) And the
degree of participation is dependent on the performance.

We've all seen the scene in the movies where the audience is drinking,
talking, and ignoring the band until the shy little singer gets up and kicks
butt with a great song she wrote after her two-timing man left her and her
six two year olds. (She eventually leaves to have her heart broken in the
big city, and, I assume,  the crowd at the local tavern goes back to
drinking and talking and ignoring the band.)

I have forgotten why I came here, so I'll sit down and shut up.

Keep smiling,

Art (the "gut" in gut bucket)Terry