[Dixielandjazz] Future of Dixieland - Redux

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 19:32:21 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/7/03 2:22:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Custode at aol.com
writes:

> The Queen City Jass Society recently held a children's open house during a
> special monthly get-together for their membership.  Of the members who
> attended,
> only a very small handful (I surmise less than 2%) brought their
> children/grandchildren.  This was tremendously disappointing to me for two
> reasons: 1) I
> would have thought that the membership would have been more responsive and
> 2)
> children meant children of all ages...adult children as well as
> young/adolescent children.  Obviously, I was wrong to assume or think along
> these lines.

  No, I don't personally think so Lewis, I think you simply did not get an
adequate response or participation from your current membership, but I do recall
your original posts and your statement about why more people did not come.

> So, where do we go from here.  If people who love this style of music, and
> openly advocate the perpetuation of it, do not take a proactive role in its'
>
> future, how can we expect the younger audience to do so?  This time, I have
> no
> answers.

Here is an idea you might try: Set a good date for another such event,
hopefully that does not conflict with any other major event in the area.  Now get
some local business to print up some 8 1/2 X 11 flyers like a small poster for
you about the event, with a coupon for a discount or something to get traffic
for their business as well.  Put your band's picture on it as well and don't
forget to add you booking information on it so somebody could call you to book
you for another event.

Now turn the flyer over and put your message about preserving the culture and
music and educational benefits for children and expanding your Society
membership etc.

Go to the local grade schools first, and volunteer your band to come and
perform a forty-five minute assembly for their classes, try to get as many kids in
the auditorium as possible for this, even if you have to combine grades.  Now
find out how many kids are going to be attending this assembly program and
insist that each one of them takes this flyer home that afternoon when they get
out of school.  Make sure the flyer states that the children get in to the
event for free, and if you want their parents or grandparents can also be invited
for free one time to check it out.

Now give those kids all the excitement you can in that assembly program, and
send them home all excited about the band and the music with that flyer to
talk their parents into coming out to your event.

I think you will be very surprised at the response you will get from totally
new people who may not even be aware of your society, get some new blood in
there and get them excited about it and it will start to grow again.

Now don't stop with just one little school or class, do it as often as you
can in as many schools as you can circulate the program to, because the more
kids you expose any kind of music to the better because they are ready and
willing recipients that have not yet been tainted with the titles of Old folks
music, etc. etc.  Kids just love music and will jump all over this music if given
half a chance.  Once their parents see their enthusiasm for it, they will be
delighted to join your society and get involved with something they can do with
their children.

It will take a few tries more than likely, but don't give up, as my Father
used to tell me, if at first you don't succeed, Try, Try again.  Those words
have stayed with me for fifty years and I still try all the time and I am
accustomed to succeeding.  And for the skeptics on the list yes you bet your bippy I
have failed a few times too, and may well do so again, but I never stop trying
in life, to do so is to lay down and die without a fight.  Not for me and my
kind.

Dixieland and Traditional Jazz is Not Dead folks, they just keep moving it,
but that's OK because those who would like to shoot it have a much harder time
hitting a moving target.
As for it ever reaching it's former level of Mass popularity, it probably
will not do so simply because we have too many other entertainment options
available to us all around, however remember this little recognized fact: There are
many, many more people to take it to now than there was in the HEYDAY, they
are just not all in the same place.  We must be on the constant move to take it
to them rather than wait for them to find us.

Cheers, and do give it another go Lewis,

Wish I was there to help you.

Tom Wiggins
The irrational promoter
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

We entertained more people in Europe last summer than the last five New
Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festivals did.  And Lewis is correct that there is little
New Orleans Jazz or Dixieland in New Orleans these days, it is and always has
been an export commodity of the Crescent City.  Heck even Louis Armstrong
left there with it.  We are the best tourist advertisement for New Orleans
Convention & tourism that they ever had and they don't even know who we are, or
care.  That is why we don't live in New Orleans either, besides the darned rain
all the time.