[Dixielandjazz] Musicians needed (particularly trumpet)

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Wed Aug 6 21:18:19 PDT 2003

I formed an Ellington repertory band a year ago. We lost two trumpet
players this summer, and we're looking for replacements.

If you live in the lower mainland of British Columbia, and would like to
get together one Saturday afternoon a month to play for a couple of hours,
please email me with your phone number.  I'd also be happy to take your
name for a standby list for other instruments, since we sometimes need subs.

No money involved - I provide the charts and the room, we all play for the
love of the music.  No plans to perform publicly.  We are a rehearsal band,
with 30 charts in our folders now, and two or three more each time we meet
until I run out of money / time / energy.  Most are Ellington recordings
transcribed by David Berger of New York.

We try to play the music as authentically as possible.  You should enjoy
Ellington's music or be willing to become familiar with it.  We don't play
"standard" big band charts - Ellington's orchestra, and the writing by
Ellington and Strayhorn and their collaborators were unique to their
organization.

You don't have to be professional quality, but you should be fairly good on
your horn, and brass players need to enjoy working with various
mutes.  Some parts go up into the high squeak range (Cat Anderson's trumpet
parts) others have a lot of special effects a la Cootie Williams, Ray
Nance, Tricky Sam Nanton.  Some are nice ballads, others are interpretive
tunes such as Daybreak Express and Happy Go Lucky Local, some are just good
old-fashioned stomps.

Here is what we will have in our folders when we meet on August 16:

Across the Track Blues
Almost Cried
Anitra's Dance
Black and Tan Fantasy