[Dixielandjazz] Response to Bix Beiderbecke's relative--

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Aug 7 07:17:12 PDT 2003

Hello Listmates:  Rich Johnson, a longtime-leader at the Bix Fest, solicited
comments from a number of friends relating to comments from a Bix
Beiderbecke relative. Here are some responses, especially Albert Haim's
comments.  Thought this would be of interest and would elicit some edifying
comments  from this astute group.
Should you wish to respond to Rich, his address is at the bottom of this
rather long treatise.  Thank you!

Norman

 Comments, Please.

Hello Rich, Albert Haim and jazz lovers:   I have only one small criticism
of this well-documented article, Albert. This relates to the Preservation
Hall Jazz Band.  Preservation Hall JB is composed of both black and white
musicians.  The leader, Jaffe ( I have forgotten his first name-now passed
down to the son on occasion of his founder-father's death.  I believe the
founder-father was named Allen) is white and John Royen their main pianist
is white.  I'm sure there are others but these are the two which come to
mind.

You are right, Albert, most of the players of traditional jazz, with the
exception of the New Orleans players, are white.  I have sat, as I'm sure
many of you have, in discussions about this and lamented the fact that there
was a paucity of black traditional players and traditional bands.

Well-said.  Thanks.

Norman

 F. Norman Vickers
Volunteer Executive Director