[Dixielandjazz] Cannery Row

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Aug 6 13:34:10 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/6/03 3:31:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Jrtnft at aol.com
writes:

> and Dr. John--whoever that is.
>
> Anyone got any info on the music from thi movie?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Thomas

Hi Jack:

Dr. John is one:  Mac Rebinack, a legendary New Orleans Pianist
songwriter,singer, who has influenced the entire Rock and Blues music genres for decades.

I found him in 1971 in the jungles of Los Angeles and brought him back from
early retirement, with a very severe drug problem, at about 20 something years
old, for a concert at the Beacon Theater in New York City.  I paired him up
with Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band, and the biggest
mistake I made was not being insightful enough to have a video camera on board the
United airlines flight with us to film the entire trip for a documentary.  I
will just say this, 13 Heroin Addicts and thirteen Cocaine addicts in the
other band made for a very interesting flight and weekend in New York City.  His
last gig had been The "Woodstock" Festival, but many of you who may not know
who Dr. John is probably do not remember that World Famous Festival either.  It
was indeed a major Culture Shock for America.  He was known as "Dr. John The
NightTripper."

One of his major hit recordings is still a classic, "Must have been in the
wrong place at the Right Time" and vice versa.  Musta been in the right place
with the wrong song, etc., etc.

He still tours the world for major Festivals, and is in Europe currently
performing at the major Jazz Festivals and selling out every concert.  He recorded
with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band a few years ago on a studio project, and
Hopefully in the near future he will collaborate on a project with me for Saint
Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins