[Dixielandjazz] Benny Goodman retro

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 4 17:53:33 PDT 2003

> "john petters" <jpettjazz at btinternet.com> wrote (polite snip)

About a group doing a Benny Goodman reprise.

> I can't speak for the guys on that concert but I do know that doing the BG
> small group repertoire does require fire in the belly unless it is to be
> merely elevator music. I did a BG tribute cd a couple of years back (there
> are sound clips on my web site) but we avoided the copy note for note
> approach and the clarinet player (Trevor Whiting) does not sound like
> Goodman and Nick Dawson, the pianist does not copy Teddy.
> From the drumming point of view, stylistically what Krupa did was suited to
> that line up, so I played a lot of press rolls rim shots etc and 2 or 4 beat
> bass drum so that the feel of the pre-be bop rhythm section was maintained.
> We certainly put a lot of energy into the recording and it came out sounding
> different to the BG trio. We had some good reviews too.

Yes, John did get some good reviews for both the technical expertise on the CD and for not trying to copy BG. One of these is in the current edition of "The Mississippi Rag" The reviewer loved it and so
will listmates, I suspect.

BTW, it would never be easy to attempt to copy Goodman, Krupa, Wilson and Hampton. Those who try are brave indeed. but perhaps misguided?

> I also did a session with Kenny Davern in BG small group format and that
> kicks because Kenny is a fiery player - but he does not sound like BG. He is his own man. I have also heard recordings with him where the rhythm sections
> have been too polite. Not so on a trio set he did with Art Hodes and Don
> DeMichael some years back. That really caught fire
> I do hear a lot of so called swing or mainstream jazz over here that is so
> polite and blue blazer that I wonder if the performers have heard the early
> stuff at all.

Bless you John. IMO, Kenny is one of the best clarinetists in the world. And he is an original. One of the few stylists that are left in jazz. He is a true master player and knows as much about the genre
as anyone I know, or have ever read. BG was one of Kenny's early heroes, until Kenny heard Pee Wee Russell. From that time forward, he spoke his own language on the horn. He and Pee Wee became great
friends over the years before Russell's death.

I was fortunate enough to be around Kenny in NYC in the 50s and early 60s. He was and still is, one fiery player in a true Jazz setting. Gave me a lesson once. Later he said: "Blow louder kid". (I am six
months or so older)

My wife and I love him. When we were courting in 1961, I played at a loft session (read cutting session)  with Kenny and a bunch of other jazz greats. She said to me. "He plays better than you do". I
admired her honesty and am still married to her. Kenny still plays better than I do and we laugh about her remark every time we see Kenny.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone