[Dixielandjazz] "Revivalism"

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 13:02:39 PDT 2003

Dear Rob--

Thank you for that explanation. Personally, as a philosopher myself, I think
the premise is full of holes. Using his premise, you can argue the
elimination of all that is not necessary to "progress," whatever that is. It
does not take into consideration the human spirit which "enjoys" that which
is pleasing to it. You can argue that, in the light of a progressive
evolution, the human spirit has no relevancy, but it is a specious argument,
except for arguments sake, because it excludes too much. I think we can all
say that in the past 50 years we've seen "progress," but are we better off
today than we were 50 years ago? No. True, progressive Evolution has
devolved in the chase for the almighty dollar. Profit has become the mass
motive. Music and the arts suffer when this happens. They always have and
they always will. Look at the cutbacks in the arts due to insolvency of
governments. To apply this premise to music is just intellectual BS.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band