[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bass sax soloist

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 26 20:49:37 PDT 2003

Dear Gerard and Jerry.
Of course I should have known that!
All I needed was the lead.
At least I got a response, which is more than poor Margaret Squires did.
8>)
Interesting that neither of you mentioned who played bass sax.
Herewith the details for those who may be interested.
(Bill Horton: please 'delete' now. Dangerous discographal stuff ahead.)
Alex Welsh, t; Ruby Braff, c; Roy Williams, tb; John Barnes, baritone sax; Al
Gray, ts; Fred Hunt, p; Jim Douglas, g; Ron Rae, sb; Lennie Hastings, d.
Recorded 8 Nov 1967.
"Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out/Buddy Bolden's Blues".
No mention of a bass sax.
As Mr Welsh's band is not well represented in my collection, someone else will
have to listen and confirm whether it is a bass or baritone sax.
Kind regards,
Bill.