[Dixielandjazz] Music for all populations?

Meg Graf meggraf at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:25:08 PDT 2003

Hello, listmates:

I was recently approached about a possible gig for a graduation celebration.
  I submitted a demo
recording, information about the band,  the usual details, and was told that
"the committee" would
get back to me within a few days.

In subsequent conversations with the organizers, I was asked if the music we
play "encouraged
partner-style dancing."  I responded that the music we play is suitable for
listening and for dancing,
whether the person dances alone, with another person, in a circle, square,
line, or whatever.

We did not get the gig, as the committee chair expressed concern that
lesbian, homosexual,
and transgendered individuals might not feel "comfortable" with music that
in her opinion
"encouraged heterosexual partner-style dancing."

I am not sorry we did not get the gig, but I am distressed at attempts to
segregate, specialize,
and compartmentalize music.

My question for listmates:  Have you been faced with a similar situation?
If so, how did you handle it?

Keep jazzin'!  Best regards,

Meg [who just wants to play tunes] and Big George