[Dixielandjazz] Re: Help please! (Alligator Blues)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Sun Apr 20 09:06:05 PDT 2003

Dear Bob,
I have both masters of "Alligator Blues (Lagniappe)" composed by cornet player
John Hyman and pianist Horace Diaz and recorded by John Hyman's Bayou Stompers
for Victor in New Orleans on 10 March 1927.
It is a fast, arranged, "white dixieland tune' (in the manner of Red Nichol's 5
Pennies) and bears no relation to "Alligator Blues Crawl (Blues) composed in
1927 by Thomas Fats Waller.
Our little band has been playing the Waller tune for the last two months and by
coincidence, this week, I transferred all the 20s-30s versions to tape for our
clarinet player, Jack Wiard, so that he could hear the verse and verify the
melody and chords.
Richard Sudhalter briefly mentions the Hyman (Wiggs) version on page 77 of his
book 'Lost Chords'.
Kind regards,
Bill.