[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cinderella Girl

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 17 09:19:47 PDT 2003

Dear Richard,
While I was asleep last night, your query was answered by proper experts, Chris
Tyle and Dick Baker.
Thanks fellas!
Although Dave (like others) may have been influenced by outside ideas/themes for
some of his compositions, he never (to my knowledge) deliberately lifted a tune.
It was not his style. Too proud.
However,'Emu Strut' owes a bit to the 1926 Dixieland Jug Blowers tune "Memphis
Shake".
Once, many years ago, when I asked Dave about this he claimed he had never heard
the DJB record.
Dave composed the tune of "Cinderella Girl" in 1949. Publisher: Swaggie Music.
It was recorded by Lazy Ade and His Late Hour Boys in Sydney on 27 June 1952 and
(according to Dave) the words followed and were sung by Ade Monsbourgh at the
7th Australian Jazz Convention in Adelaide in 1952.
The verse was added just prior to The Dave Dallwitz Band recording for Swaggie
on 5/6 August 1984.
Kind regards,
Bill.