[Dixielandjazz] Lost artefacts

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Mon Apr 14 23:01:49 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/14/03 3:32:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stridepiano at tesco.net writes:

> I remember passing through Hannibal, Missouri some years ago with an
> American friend. We scoured all the junk shops there finding some
> interesting things including an original piano roll of  Magnetic Rag. A
> couple of years later the Mississippi burst its banks and my friend sent me
> a photograph which showed that most of Hannibal had been submerged in the
> disaster so perhaps events such as this might explain why so much
> historical
> stuff in our area of interest has disappeared over the years.

I remember also that cabins in the woods had outhouses with Sears and Roebuck
catalogs for cleanup tasks.  Could that also have been the demise of some
wornout piano rolls?   No..no...no...just a perverse thought that passed
through my twisted sense of humor.
Bud Taylor
Smugtown Stompers
Rochester, NY