[Dixielandjazz] Jim Borkenhagen

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Apr 14 13:22:32 PDT 2003

I found this in today's San Jose Mercury News (Leigh Weimers is a sort
of local Herb Caen style columnist)

Dave Richoux
Friends of jazzman play musical wake

By Leigh Weimers
Mercury News

Passersby in the vicinity of Eulipia last week might have been
surprised to hear the sounds of live, down-home jazz coming from the
stylish dinner house in the middle of the afternoon. It wasn't a
scheduled performance, unfortunately, but tradition -- with a touch of
coincidence. Jim Borkenhagen, one of Northern California's top New
Orleans-style trumpet players, had passed away earlier in the week at
78 and had just been laid to rest. In the best jazz tradition, fellow
musicians from all over then brought their memories and instruments to
the restaurant to give their pal a proper musical wake. The
coincidence? When Jim's son Steve Borkenhagen and partners founded
Eulipia in 1977, they'd intended it to be a jazz hangout (the name
comes from Rahsaan Roland Kirk's ``Theme for Eulipions''), but economic
realities dictated that food come first. Thursday afternoon, jazz was
back at the downtown restaurant -- and it never seemed more appropriate.