[Dixielandjazz] Defining Dixieland

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 17:20:30 PDT 2003

on 4/8/03 3:41 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet at earthlink.net wrote:

> Yeah, I know Hooks,
> there must be an absolute truth here, but then I don't believe that
> either. I see the answer as relative to one's own musical psyche. And
> correct, either way.

    No, I agree with you: this is merely a matter of taste, like which
flower arrangement is the "best;" unless, of course you have prior agreement
on some standard, and even then there can be plenty of legitimate opinion.

    That's not at all the same as a question like, "Does God exist?" for He
either does or does not: man's opinion has no effect on the matter one way
or the other.  Although it may have plenty of effect on the man.  ;-)

    Nice to agree with you.  Sort of.

Charlie