[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland thoughts

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 15:12:41 PDT 2003

Hello all,

When I think of the classic New Orleans sound, the first group that always
comes to mind is that of King Oliver with Armstrong playing behind him.
IMHO, this is the group that "defines" (whatever that means), the style.

To my ear, the most effective traditional pieces build from the solos into
the collective improv and it's this combination of elements that makes great
"dixieland."  After all, I wouldn't want to categorize the great Bix,
Armstrong or Bechet solos as something less than the collective improv!!!

All the best,
Rob McCallum