[Dixielandjazz] China Boy chord?

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Mon Apr 7 18:15:09 PDT 2003

Greetings, all.

I'm curious about the chord in the measure before the bridge in "China Boy". In the key of F, the first chord of the bridge is Ab. I've been listening to recordings (1927-1934) and most of them stay on an F chord in the bar before the bridge but some go to the V chord (Eb), the dominant of the upcoming Ab chord. Does anyone have a copy of the original sheet music for verification of this one chord? Hey, either way sounds good, I'd just like to do it as it was originally intended. Personally, I like the "surprise" of the sound of the Ab without the V chord leading into it but, as I wrote, I'd like to do it the way it was intended. Thanks.

Dave Gravatt
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
Ozark, Missouri