[Dixielandjazz] Norfolk VA DJ band at the ballpark

Mike Marois MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com
Wed Apr 2 23:13:14 PST 2003

Trumpet, Trombone, Clarinet, Banjo, switch the Bass out for a Tuba, and
switch the Drummer over to Washboard.  This instrumentation works great.  It
is highly mobile and acoustically can be hear throughout the stands.  I
suggest a washboard instead of a marching snare because you can outfit the
washboard with a little splash cymbal that can be used as a mini ride cymbal
along with wood blocks and bells and whistles.  Rhythmically this adds a lot
to the group.  In the 80's we used the this instrumentation for the
California Angels out in Southern Cal.  The Cubs band, of which I played
with for a few seasons back in the 90's, in Chicago use a similar lineup
minus the washboard.

Hope this helps out,

Mike Marois
tuba/computer guru