[Dixielandjazz] Re: Eddie Condon

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Apr 2 06:47:16 PST 2003

Bill:
   Your mention of Dick Gehman brought back a pleasant memory of the time he
stopped at Chicago's Jazz Ltd. Club where I was working in the 60's house
band.
   Dick used to make a stop here time to time when passing through town on
the way to some writing assignment, and he always had an Eddie Condon story.
This time he told one that I have never forgotten.
   He had been at Eddie's Club in NY in the 50's and Eddie invited him to
stay over at his place in White Plains, which was a drive on out of
Manhattan. So after the gig, Gehman drove and Eddie sat in the passenger
side, and was very quiet as they rode on out of town. On the way they passed
some incinerator sites, some large industrial dumps and a large cattle yard,
all with their hot-of-summer smells wafting in through the window as they
passed them. The stench, he said, was gagging.
  "Suddenly," Dick said, "Eddie spoke up...breaking the silence. With a
deadpan delivery he said, 'you know, Phyllis and I have been thinking of
buying around here.'"
   I still have a few of Gehman's books somewhere in my collection. He was a
fine writer and a good friend of Chicago/New York style jazz.