[Dixielandjazz] Bix as video theme

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Tue Apr 1 08:55:36 PST 2003

>From another mailing list.
--Sheik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
"Last month I reviewed some videos from a new company named Goldhil. While
perusing their website I unearthed a video titled The Beiderbecke Affair.
Further investigation revealed that this was the title of a television
mini-series produced in England in 1985 by the commercial Yorkshire
Television network. It achieved the same kind of cult TV status that The
Prisoner and Dr. No had in the US. After watching the first 15 minutes of
the 6-episode box set I was hooked. And so will you if collect records
(especially early jazz) and love a dry sense of gentle humor and clever
writing. It all starts very normal when a woodshop teacher/jazz record
collector orders a set of Bix Beiderbecke Lps from a gorgeous blonde selling
things door-to-door. When the package turns out to be something completely
different, he and his girlfriend set out on a fascinating and loopy mystery
hunt. He wants his Bix records and youll appreciate his enthusiasm for his
large record collection.  The soundtrack is loaded with a tuneful jazz score
with Kenny Baker playing cornet solos in the style of Bix. Sure, the plot
moves far away from the records themselves but, its because of this
connection, the superb scripts by Alan Plater, and the acting by the superb
though little-known cast that makes this video set an undiscovered
gem. (Note: There were two sequels to the series: The Beiderbecke Tapes and
The Beiderbecke Connection, though only Affair and Connection are available
on video in the US). (www.goldhil.com)"