[Dixielandjazz] The Preacher

drjz drjz@bealenet.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:37:09 -0400

It was noted during the discussion of Preacher Rollo Laylan that he had
limited movement in one of  his hands. I am most interested in this
example of another jazz musician continuing to play despite a handicap,
as did Sweet Emma Barrett. I should be most grateful if anyone can
answer these questions.
Which hand was it?
How did the limitation affect his handling of the sticks and the drum
set?
What caused the Preacher's infirmity? One source says injury, another
polio. If polio, did he show any post polio weakness in the same hand
years later?
I understand that the Preacher died on 8/28/96. Does anyone know the his
burthdate andcause of  Death. The only one obit notice in The Music
Index is for Cadence, 22-125, October 1996.