[Dixielandjazz] Occupational marks

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:02:56 +0200

Which coincides with what I wrote earlier:
>We all have our marks.  Mine is a bent third finger on the left hand,
and a raised area
> on the side of the same finger where most of the weight of the
trombone
> sits.

 But, Rob van der Plas seems to hold his horn in a different,
unconventional manner:
> > take a look at their left  pinkie. Specifically, to the inside of
the first joint of the pinkie. I
> would not surprise me if you notice an enlargement of the joint.

How do you hold your tea-cup, Rob?  With the pinkie hooked outward?   :>
Maybe that's where you got the enlargement.  Surely, you don't hook the
horn with your smallest, weakest finger?  Where do the other four
fingers go, up around the mouthpiece?  I'm just curious.  Do you have a
close-up photo?  If the horn rests on the third finger, then the index
finger is wrapped, normally, around the bottom of the mouthpiece.

Jim

Jim