[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dr. Jazz

David Richoux tubaman@batnet.com
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:30:58 -0700

Bill Haesler wrote:
> Dear Steve,
> C'mon! Don't be mean. Give us a better clue.
> I've tried Google and various combinations of Dr Jazz, Oliver, song, drugs, etc.
> and can't find "a reliable published source for Dr. Jazz as drug related double
> entendre".
> My days are too short at the moment.
> Please.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

If you assign the character of "Dr. Jazz" to another well known jazz personality,
Jelly Roll Morton, it all becomes cleared to me an the sex vs. drugs issue. In
"Popular Jazz Mythology 101" (you know, he knows, everybody knows... it must be
true! ;-)  JRM was pretty well assumed to be a pimp at some time or other - also a
pool hall hustler and race track tout - but I have not found anything about drugs
yet in JRM's biographies.  Also, Dr. Jazz was apparently the first vocal he ever
recorded so it must have been special to him.

So my vote is for sex (Dr. Jazz was a pimp, not a pusher) and it works better with
the slang term Jass or Jazz.  Just the tune to play on a Sunday morning...

(see www.doctorjazz.freeserve.co.uk for some incredibly detailed Morton history, BTW)

Dave Richoux