[Dixielandjazz] Resting Chops

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:00:56 -0400

Jim Beebe presumably has full-time professional musician's burn out--I
gather music ceased to be fun, became just work, pressure from trying to
make a living; since it was his vocation, he relaxed with other activities,
took vacations that had nothing to do with music, etc.

When it's only or to a great extent an avocation, it's recreational. For
some, it's their main joy.

The situation Russ describes is "psych-up"--anticipation of and mental
preparation for playing: musicians come to rehearsals and gigs psyched up
to play. I have noticed that musicians approaching or over the burn-out
line don't come psyched up. I remember the night early in my career when I
told a violin player leaving the first segment of the gig on his way to
another, "Have fun!" and he shouted "I've been doing this for 40 years! I'm
not going to have fun--it's work!"

--Sheik