[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dr. Jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:52:59 +1000

Dear Brian, Steve and all,
I first heard Jelly Roll Morton's 1926 version of "Dr Jazz" in 1945.
It was one of the records which lured me away from 'swing' and set me on to the
classic, traditional path.
I never, for a minute, heard it as a 'drug song', such as "Kicking the Gong
Around".
The first time I read about the 'drug' reference was about 3-4 years ago. Can't
recall where.
I still find it hard to accept a drug connotation after years of believing that
(as Brian says) it is  the "jazz" that is addictive.
(Maybe we 'aliens' are just naive!)
However, it does not stop me from teasing our 30-something girl singer (Sunni
Miyamae) about her drug-pusher song, whenever she includes it in our program.
Which is frequent, as her rendition is popular with our 'crowd'.
She too had never thought of it in the drug sense.
Kind regards,
Bill.
PS: Dan Hardie mentioned Kate Dunbar singing "Dr Jazz" at our gig last Sunday.
(Thanks for the plug Dan.)
Kate (a dear mate) was subbing for Sunni, who has been in Japan for the last 2
weeks.