[Dixielandjazz] Resting Chops

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 13:28:55 EDT

--part1_88.1ea28a43.2ac1fad7_boundary

In a message dated 9/24/02 6:17:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> In my time in the house band at Chicago's Jazz Ltd. we played five night a
> week, six hours a night. we had Thursday and Sunday off (with an off night
> band led by Lil Armstrong or Art Hodes on Thursdays).
> I had chops of steel in those days. So did Jim Beebe who worked in the band
> with me.

   LIke you say, Don..."then was then and now is now."

   My 'chops' are well rested now.  I haven't played my horn in over a year
and half.  It sits on a stand over there and is getting dusty.  I probably
ought to clean it up and put it away.  I actually find that I miss playing
less and less.  It's nice not having all of the hassles...with the
instrument, the chops, getting to the gig, getting a band together, getting
subs, picking tunes and on and on.  So many weekends blown that I could have
spent with the family.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_88.1ea28a43.2ac1fad7_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 9/24/02 6:17:36 AM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">In my time in the house band at Chicago's Jazz Ltd. we played five night a<BR>
week, six hours a night. we had Thursday and Sunday off (with an off night<BR>
band led by Lil Armstrong or Art Hodes on Thursdays).<BR>
I had chops of steel in those days. So did Jim Beebe who worked in the band<BR>
with me.</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; LIke you say, Don..."then was then and now is now." <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; My 'chops' are well rested now.&nbsp; I haven't played my horn in over a year and half.&nbsp; It sits on a stand over there and is getting dusty.&nbsp; I probably ought to clean it up and put it away.&nbsp; I actually find that I miss playing less and less.&nbsp; It's nice not having all of the hassles...with the instrument, the chops, getting to the gig, getting a band together, getting subs, picking tunes and on and on.&nbsp; So many weekends blown that I could have spent with the family.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_88.1ea28a43.2ac1fad7_boundary--