[Dixielandjazz] Dr. Jazz

drjz drjz@bealenet.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:21:52 -0400

Dear Rebecca,
Your affliction with the "Jazz Disease" intrigues me because I came upon
this phrase recently used in a more concrete manner  I had an email
interview with a journalist in Brazil about my book "Jazz and Death".
One question was whether there was a "tendency to certain diseases among
jazz musicians" from factors associated with playing jazz. I replied
that there were certainly some environmental elements, other than those
dealt with in occupational medicine (instrument, etc), that affect(ed)
the health of jazz artists, and referred him to my book for further
details. The next question was "Can we call them 'Jazz diseases'?" My
answer was "No!" Most afflictions of jazz players reflect those of the
general population, with the exception of substance abuse in some eras
and cases. Cheers.
Fred