[Dixielandjazz] DR JAZZ

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:21:06 -0400

Rebecca Thompson wrote: (about the double entendre of "Dr. Jazz")

"For someone like me with the "Jazz Disease", I need a "fix" of Jazz
every so often.  I never associate this song with drugs.  Typical of
many songs of that era, there were double meanings... Guess it just
depends on where you want to place the emphasis."

Yes, or it depends upon who your audience is. Barbone Street's audience
is 25 to 40 years old and wouldn't know "Jazz" or "Dr. Jazz" from "Pop",
or "Kenny G"., until we turn them on to it. We also talk about Basin
Street as the street with some magnificent Bordellos, and how piano
players worked there while jazz bands worked in the honky tonks nearby.
Etc., etc.., etc.  We give jazz the same aura it had when we were kids.
Not as art, but as exciting, sexy, fun. That it turns out to be artistic
also is a great added benefit.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. And we say "never trust a jazz piano player because they got their
start as whorehouse piano players" Excepting of course, Mr. Wonderful,
who wouldn't dream of such a thing. ;-) VBG