[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: The "PRESENTATION" of Jazz

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:36:09 -0500

Folks--
    Speaking of 'presentation', how much explanation should we be giving the audience before (or after) each number?  Seems like it would be a good idea to let them know a little of the history or interesting details of each song, along with perhaps the kind of dixieland-style it's being played in (New Orleans/West Coast/etc), without being condescending about either type of comment.  It's also a good idea NOT to jump right into the next tune, as the brass players (especially the cornet) need time for their lips to rest a little before the next tune.
    But how much should one say, what should one say, and how many minutes should it take?  I realize these depend on the kind of show also, and the attention-span of the audience, but what do most of you guys do?

    Dan

--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **