[Dixielandjazz] full moon

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:00:01 +0200

Someone mentioned that maybe everybody on DJML was off enjoying the full
moon..........

Funny enough, 'cause I just got back from doing just that!  So.......I
will write about my experience, altho it has little to do with Jazz,
only that I WASN'T playing tonite, therefore I was able to enjoy this
lovely, huge moon shining over Chinchon.

What is Chinchon, you ask?  It is a small pueblo 40 minutes drive from
Madrid (Spain), and can be remembered for its bull fighting ring in the
square of the town seen in the movie "Around the World in 80 Days".  I
just had dinner (1/4 roast kid lamb shared with the wife) on a balcony
overlooking that very square & that same bull ring.  It hasn't changed
at all since they did the film (was it?) in the 60's.

Chinchon was celebrating a Saint's Day today, and we were able to watch
a procession of the Saint by about 90% of the village into the bull
ring/square  (the fight ended an hr before), candle lit, and accompanied
by the village band playing dirge type music.  A few words from the
local priest, and more music, then they filed out.  Ended dinner around
midnite with a decent Cuban cigar, and a drive home with the top down.
Just as well, due to the effect of the Chinchon Anis!!

Had 5 days running of gigs before today, and it was a nice break.......
Tues nite is a regular weekly gig, and then.....guess what?.....a
weekend free, so off to the Northern wine country of Rioja.  It's
harvest time!!

I love playing, but the breaks in between are nice, also........

Jim