[Dixielandjazz] Preacher Rollo

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:01:41 -0500

Folks--
     OK, here's something perhaps appropriate for a quiet Sunday: a
couple of weeks ago i drove down to San Antonio to go to a rare-LP's
store called Alamo Records and Sheet Music, run by Will Day in the
basement of an antiques store called Echoes from the Past (517 E.
Houston St.).  He has thousands of old vinyl records, including jazz.
     I came back with a number of dixieland records, including a
ten-inch record without the cardboard jacket.  It was Dixieland
Favorites by Preacher Rollo and the Five Saints (MGM E95). It turned
out to be pretty interesting, but i didn't know who Preacher Rollo
was (never heard of him before), so i went sniffing onto the web and
found out a little about him on the American Big Bands Biographies
(http://64.33.34.112/.WWW/l1.html).  Does anyone know who actually
played on this particular recording, and/or anything else about this
band?  I was especially intrigued by one song they did called
"Tronbonium", which sounds almost exactly like the rendition that the
Assunto Dukes of Dixieland do on one of their later albums.
     I also picked up another ten-inch record without a jacket by
George Girard and His New Orleans Five (side 1) paired with Jack
Delaney and His New Orleans Jazz Babies (Southland S-LP-201), which
is also pretty good, especially Delaney's trombone style.  I think i
can hear Freddy Assunto echoing it later.
     Other records i got included Santo and His New Orleans Rhythm
Kings on Southland S-LP 213, Midnight on Bourbon Street by Sharkey
and His Kings of Dixieland (Capitol T367) with Lizzie Miles, and an
LP by a group (wearing red-and-white striped jackets and straw hats)
called The Southern Comforts--don't ask; the uniform should have told
me what they sound like.
     Anyway, does anyone know any more about Preacher Rollo?  Thanks.

Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine    Austin, Texas   ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu     **
**      "Bore, n. A person who talks when you wish him to listen."    **