[Dixielandjazz] Grass Roots Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:02:22 -0400

Every once in a while I do a "google" search for "Barbone Street Jazz"
to gauge publicity, and assist in programing our band marketing
approach. I was delighted to discover the following on page 4 in today's
search. It was a questionaire/interview by one Patrick Hudgings, a 5th
grade (10 years old?) student at Hillsdale Elementary School in West
Chester PA. (If you search for it, it is listed as "Untitled" in it's
header.

Patrick interviewed his mother, Sarah Hudgings with "Questions for Jazz
Fans", as assigned by his Music Teacher, Miss DeFelice:

1. When do you remember first hearing jazz?
     About when she was eight.

2. What do you like most about jazz?
     The rythm, (sic) and the way it makes her feel.

3.  What does jazz mean to you?
     Listening to it is a way to relax and have fun.

4.  Who are your favorite jazz musicians. Why?
      She likes Herb Alpert, Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis because
their music makes her feel good.

5.  What are your favorite jazz recordings? Why?
      North on South Street by Herb Alpert. Birth of the Cool by Miles
Davis because their music makes her  feel good.

6.  Are there places you go to listen to jazz? Where?
     Yes, she goes to the park.

7.  Do you have a favorite story or memory about jazz?
     Dancing to Herb Alpert in a dance performance.

8.  Are there jazz musicians in this town or area that you admire?
     Yes, she thinks the name of the group is Barbone Street Jazz.

9.  Have you ever danced to jazz?
     Oh yeah, in college she was in the dance performance where she
danced to jazz music.

The Park Sarah Hudgings refers to, where she goes to hear jazz is
Everhart Park in West Chester where The Barbone Street Jazz Band plays 3
times a year to general audiences  I don't know how this got on the web
but am glad it did.

Out of the mouths of babes, etc.:  "Play Jazz where the people are."
This year at Everhart Park's 3 dates, for West Chester's Recreation
Department, we had a total audience of about 15,000.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
clarinet / leader Barbone Street Jazz Band
http://home.earthlink.net/~barbonestreet/