[Dixielandjazz] Cinderella Girl by Dave Dalwitz

Tony Davis tony@tony-davis.co.uk
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:56:55 +0100

I was able to send Bill Gunter a scan of a leadsheet for this song, thanks
to Australian trumpeter Eric Holroyd, who printed it out for me during his
stay with us last year.  Coincidentally, among the other tunes he gave me
leadsheets for was "Messin' Around", mentioned on the list earlier today.
(Anybody want it?)

We met Eric, and Bill and his lovely wife Bev, and Bob Romans, and John
Farrell, and Rob van der Plas, and many other wonderful people through the
DJML.  This list has literally changed our lives - if I'd never discovered
it we would probably not have visited the US three times in the last three
years.  We might never have seen the Grand Canyon, or had a guided tour of
Taliesin West.  We would almost certainly not have had Cell Block 7 rehearse
in our living room!

And, come to think of it, it was Bob Romans who flagged up the fact that a
1938 Conn Victor cornet from the estate of the late Max Kaminsky was up for
auction on e-bay, for which I will be eternally in his debt.  Thus,
unknowingly, by the simple act of posting a message to the DJML, Bob spawned
a project (in the UK) which has culminated in the formation of a new band,
Kaminsky Connection.  (I won't mention the CD.)

The point of all this is that the DJML is a wondrous entity with
life-enhancing powers, and much greater than the sum of its parts.  Please
think of this the next time you're tempted to score a cheap point off
someone with less knowledge or insight than you, or to flame someone whose
opinion you don't agree with.

Best wishes to you all (and welcome back Jim Marsh!),

Tony.

--
Tony Davis
Trumpet/Cornet